What is Ananda Yoga?
Ananda Yoga® brings yoga back to its original spiritual essence.
Above all, it seeks to raise your level of consciousness by reinforcing the natural effects of the yoga postures. It is also designed to harmonize your body, mind, and soul.
Ananda Yoga includes:
- Asana (yoga postures)
- Pranayama (breathing and energy-control techniques)
- Yogic meditation techniques
- Applied yoga philosophy
Learn more about Ananda Yoga in the video below. Video runs 8 minutes.
What Is the Practice Like?
Yoga posture practice in Ananda Yoga is gentle for beginning students, becoming more challenging with experience. It is an inwardly directed practice, and is never aggressive or aerobic.
The primary emphases are:
- Safety and correct alignment
- Being relaxed at all times, even during the midst of effort
- Working directly with the body’s subtle energy via the yoga postures
- Using the postures to raise your consciousness
- Adaptation – modifying each yoga posture to fit the needs and abilities of the practitioner
What Makes Ananda Yoga Unique?
The Energization Exercises are a series of 39 special energy-control techniques that Yogananda developed in order to help the practitioner increase, focus, and control prana, or life-force.
Each yoga posture is paired with its own affirmation, which one practices silently while in the posture. The affirmation is designed to reinforce the posture’s natural effect on one’s state of consciousness, bringing the mind actively and directly into one’s practice.
Trikonasana: Triangle Pose
Affirmation: Energy and joy flood my body cells!
Ananda Yoga Classes
You can experience Ananda Yoga with a certified instructor at the Tucson Center. Join one of our classes!